Uber FCRA Settlement
- Claims can be submitted online or by mail
- Frequently Asked Questions are available
- Administrator can be contacted for help
Class actions lawsuits come and go but not all are as complex as the case known as In re Uber FCRA Litigation. The suit was filed over allegations that the Defendants violated a number of laws including (but not limited to) the Fair Credit Reporting Act by obtaining consumer background check reports of independent transportation providers. The Defendants vigorously deny and continue to dispute all of the claims alleged in the lawsuit and deny all allegations of wrongdoing, fault, liability, or damage whatsoever. In addition, the Defendants contend that the lawsuit has no merit stating the transportation providers who use the Uber App are actually independent contractors and deny the Background Check Laws apply. It does not appear the court will ever be asked to decide on the merits of either sides’ arguments as the case has come to a pending settlement agreement which, if approved, will allow both parties to avoid the costs and uncertainty of a trial. Those who believe they are eligible for compensation can begin the filing process online by going to the Uber FCRA Settlement page and clicking the Submit a Claim tab.
A Closer Look at the Settlement
- Payments to eligible Class Members will be made from a $7,500,000 Settlement Fund
- The background check must have taken place prior to January 3rd, 2015 to be eligible
- December 14th, 2017 is the deadline by which exclusions and objections must be filed
- The deadline by which all claims must be filed (online or by mail) is January 15th, 2018
- The hearing to decide whether to approve the settlement is set for February 8th, 2018
Those who plan on filing a request for exclusion or a claim by mail will need to make sure the correspondence is post-marked and sent to the Settlement Administrator no later than the previously mentioned deadlines. Class Members with questions may want to help themselves by clicking the FAQs link posted at the top of the Uber FCRA Settlement page. Those who don’t find what they need in the FAQs can turn to the Settlement Administrator for further assistance.
Settlement Administrator Contact Information
- 1801 Market Street, Suite 660, Philadelphia, PA 19103
- [email protected]