Will Smith hit Chris Rock at the Oscar ceremonies on Sunday night. This was after Chris Rock made a joke about Jada Pinkett Smith, Will’s wife.
Shortly after, Will Smith won an award for Best Actor and used his speech to say sorry to the organisers, the Academy.
Rob and Roy look at the vocabulary used in the headlines about this story.
TEWS: Throw Shade – https://youtu.be/uXg0uV08-UQ
What is international law? An animated explainer – https://youtu.be/jTzKgI68VLc
0:00 – Introduction
0:32 – Story
1:40 – Headline 1: Will Smith’s confrontation with Chris Rock overshadows his long-held Oscar dreams
4:58 – Headline 2: Oscars 2022: Chris Rock won’t press charges against Will Smith, police say
8:12 – Headline 3: Will Smith slammed for NOT apologizing to Chris Rock in Oscars acceptance speech minutes after punching him during fight
10:43 – Language summary
Key words and phrases:
causes something to seem less important
* Violent protests have overshadowed the political event.
* Jorge left the company because he felt overshadowed by one of his colleagues.
file a police report
* Julia decided to press charges against her sister for crashing the car.
* I do not wish to press charges. I want to move on.
* He was slammed for his rudeness at the party.
* The advertising campaign was slammed for its insensitivity.
To download the audio and a transcript and test your understanding, go to our website: https://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/english/course/newsreview-2022/unit-1/session-12
#learnenglish #newsreview #WillSmith #ChrisRock #Oscars2022 #vocabulary