The hottest January day ever in Europe.
At least seven countries reported the warmest New Year’s Day on record.
One village in Poland recorded 19C compared to its usual temperature of around 1C.
Climatologists are calling it the most extreme heatwave ever seen in Europe.
Key words and phrases
falls because it is unbalanced
• The tree toppled over in the storm.
• The corrupt president was toppled by the opposition.
• My grandma’s health has gone downhill since her fall.
• The business is going downhill – it isn’t making a profit anymore.
• He shattered the record by finishing the marathon in under two hours.
• The number of university applications this year has shattered previous records.
To download a transcript and audio, go here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/course/newsreview-2023/unit-1/session-1/activity-1
#newsreview #englishinthenews #climate #poland #weather #vocabulary
SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel for more videos to help you improve your English: www.youtube.com/bbclearningenglish
Visit our website: https://www.bbclearningenglish.com
Find us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/bbclearningenglish
Find us on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/bbcle
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bbclearningenglish.multimedia
We like receiving and reading your comments – please use English when you comment.