President Trump has been accused of posting ‘racist’ tweets attacking 4 congresswomen – none of whom are white. Ayanna Pressley, Ilhan Omar, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Rashida Tlaib have responded to these tweets.
A group of Democratic congresswomen criticised by President Trump in a series of racially-charged tweets have accused him of pursuing a white-nationalist agenda.
At a joint news conference, the four women – none of them white – condemned what they called the president’s “xenophobic comments”.
One of them, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, said that all American citizens had a right to be in the US – no matter the colour of their skin or their religion.
Key words and phrases
passing around and through a group or system
• Make sure to wash your hands. There’s a flu circulating at the moment.
• Once the news had circulated around the company, the CEO called a meeting.
loud angry complaint
• After his anger-fuelled rant, the lecturer had a headache and needed to lie down.
• I always feel better after a good rant – it clears all your frustrations!
-take the bait
react to provocation
• The younger sibling didn’t take the bait when his older brother teased him.
• Despite his opponent’s insults, the politician didn’t take the bait and stayed on topic.
An ‘extreme dislike or fear of foreigners’ is known as:
For the answer, watch this on our website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/english/course/newsreview/unit-10/session-99
[Cover: Getty Images]
Learning English is easy! Improve your English with our free English videos and lessons on grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation and English exams.
Please use English when you comment.
For more free English lessons and videos visit our website: http://www.bbclearningenglish.com