Crocodiles have been seen moving through the waters of the recently flooded Australian city of Townsville. In addition to the heavy flooding caused by unprecedented rainfall, thousands of homes have been damaged and two men have also gone missing. Tom and Dan discuss the story and teach you the vocabulary you need to talk about it.
Key words and phrases
becomes involved in something
• If the meeting gets too loud, the boss usually steps in to calm everyone down.
• The protest is now so large the police have stepped in to maintain order.
sends people or things somewhere for a purpose
• The state deploys emergency aid each time there is a hurricane.
• We are deploying extra troops to help search the area for survivors.
move or travel freely without any real purpose or direction
• Noisy teenagers roam around the streets of my town at night. It’s very distracting!
• It was incredible to see the animals roaming freely around the safari park.
Visit our website for more details and a quiz: http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/english/course/newsreview/unit-8/session-76
[Cover: Getty Images]
Learning English is easy! Improve your English with our free English videos and lessons on grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation and English exams.
Please use English when you comment.
For more free English lessons and videos visit our website: http://www.bbclearningenglish.com