Scientists who study fossils have discovered a new species of tiny T. rex which shows its ancestors were a bit less terrifying. Learn about this story and English words in the news in this free English lesson.
A new dinosaur – a diminutive ancestor of the mighty Tyrannosaurus rex – has been identified by a palaeontologist who first discovered the bones as a teenager in New Mexico more than 20 years ago. The creature dates back 92 million years, about 20 million years earlier than T.rex, and would have been less than a metre tall. Scientists are not certain how the small tyrannosaurus-type dinosaurs evolved into some of the largest and most fearsome creatures ever to walk the Earth.
Key words and phrases
appearing large and impressive
* Professional body builders are imposing figures
* The bank was an imposing building. It seemed to dare thieves to try robbing it.
spoke or acted carefully to avoid making a mistake
* He trod lightly as he arrived. He didn’t want his wife to know he’d come home late.
* The boss is in a terrible mood today, so tread lightly! No bad news!
action or event that helps (someone) advance towards something
* Study hard, class. Each level of education is a stepping stone to your final career.
* Each failed design was a stepping stone in the invention of the light bulb.
Which of the following is a synonym of ‘frightening’?
For the answer, watch this on our website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/english/course/newsreview/unit-11/session-105
[Cover: Getty Images]
Learning English is easy! Improve your English with our free English videos and lessons on grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation and English exams.
Please use English when you comment.
For more free English lessons and videos visit our website: http://www.bbclearningenglish.com