A large number of documents have been obtained by The International Consortium of Investigative Journalists. The documents expose the financial lives and money dealings of many politicians and rich people around the world. These documents have been called the ‘Pandora Papers’.
Roy and Neil discuss the news story and teach you some related vocabulary so you can talk about it too.
0:00 – Introduction
0:34 – Story
1:51 – Headline 1: Pandora papers: biggest ever leak of offshore data exposes financial secrets of rich and powerful
5:14 – Headline 2: From Claudia Schiffer to Shakira – the rich and famous faces caught up in the Pandora Papers leak
8:25 – Headline 3: Pandora Papers: An offshore data tsunami
11:02 – Language summary
A huge leak of financial documents has exposed the secret dealings of hundreds of politicians, world leaders and billionaires. They show the King of Jordan secretly bought properties in London, Washington and Malibu.
His lawyers have dismissed the information as neither accurate, nor up to date. The files also show that Tony Blair purchased an offshore company that owned a house in London, saving his family hundreds of thousands of pounds in stamp duty. No rules were broken.
Key words and phrases:
release of secret or private information
* There was a leak to the press revealing the names of the people involved.
* Turn off the water. The pipe is leaking!
caught up in
involved in a bad situation unexpectedly
* The celebrity was caught up in the political crisis.
* I don’t want to get caught up in your argument – so please take it elsewhere.
arrival of something in huge amounts
* There has been a tsunami of information published about the food crisis.
* A tsunami of tourists came to the city for the Olympics.
To download the audio and a transcript and test your understanding, go to our website:
#learnenglish #newsreview #pandorapapers