The Queen has become is the first British monarch to celebrate a Platinum Jubilee. The Queen’s reign began when she was 25 years old, following the death of her father, George VI, on 6 February 1952.
The monarch said that, 70 years on, the day is one she remembers “as much for the death of my father, King George VI, as for the start of my reign”.
Rob and Neil discuss this news story and teach you some related vocabulary so you can talk about it too.
News Review: Kamala Harris makes history – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RniIW3GH8h8&t=17s
News Review: Charlie Watts: Rolling Stones drummer dies – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJhwcCfPTHA&t=1s
0:00 – Introduction
0:30 – Story
2:12 – Headline 1: Queen pictured working in new image released for 70-year milestone.
4:55 – Headline 2: Prince Charles leads jubilee tributes to ‘remarkable’ Queen
7:45 – Headline 3: Queen hails anniversary of groundbreaking British feat in new heartfelt message
10:10 – Language summary
milestone: important point in someone’s life
– The first colour broadcast was a milestone in the history of TV.
– Completing 25 years of work at the company was a milestone in his career.
tributes: announcements showing respect and admiration for someone or something
– A film has been made as a tribute to the life of the late footballer.
– I want to pay tribute to all the healthcare workers who worked so hard during the pandemic.
heartfelt: strong, sincere feeling
– At the wedding, he made a heartfelt speech about his new wife.
– Please accept my heartfelt apologies for breaking your vase.
To download the audio and a transcript and test your understanding, go to our website:
#learnenglish #newsreview #queen #platinumjubilee #vocabulary
Do you want to improve your English? Visit our website for more English videos and English classes: www.bbclearningenglish.com
We like receiving and reading your comments – please use English when you comment.