Long Covid. Millions of people around the world have reported symptoms of Covid-19 more than twelve weeks after getting the disease.
Now research by scientists in the UK has identified three different types of long Covid. Some people suffer brain fog and headaches; others have breathing problems; and a third group experience a range of symptoms.
Key words and phrases
something that can harm you, but you don’t know how
* Online bullies are an unknown enemy. You don’t know how they’ll attack you.
* Climate change is an unknown enemy. Nobody knows exactly what’s going to happen.
goes up quickly
* Prices are rocketing. I can’t afford anything.
* Demand for fans has rocketed during the heatwave.
being persuaded about an idea that might not be right
* I’m being sold the idea I can learn a language in 3 months.
* He tried to sell me the idea the Moon landings were fake.
0:00 – Introduction
0:21 – Story
1:25 – Headline 1: The Guardian: The Guardian view on long Covid: an unknown enemy
3:20 – Headline 2: ITV: Demand for Long Covid services rockets as thousands battle the condition
5:00 – Headline 3: The Conversation: Ivermectin, blood washing, ozone: how long COVID survivors are being sold the next round of miracle cures
6:53 – Language summary
For a quiz and downloads, check out our website: https://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/english/course/newsreview-2022/unit-1/session-32
Do you want to improve your English?
SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel for more videos: www.youtube.com/bbclearningenglish
Visit our website: http://www.bbclearningenglish.com
Find us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/bbclearningenglish
Find us on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/bbcle
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bbclearningenglish.multimedia
We like receiving and reading your comments – please use English when you comment.
#covid19 #learnenglish #news