Kieran Setiya, a philosophy professor at MIT, says many people experience a mid-career crisis. Some have regrets about paths not taken or serious professional missteps; others feel a sense of boredom or futility in their ongoing streams of work. The answer isn’t always to find a new job or lobby for a promotion. Motivated by his own crisis, Setiya started looking for ways to cope and discovered several strategies that can help all of us shift our perspective on our careers and get out of the slump without jumping ship. He is the author of the HBR article “Facing Your Mid-Career Crisis.”
Listen to all IdeaCast episodes here: [YouTube playlist link]
You can also listen to this episode on HBR.org, and wherever you listen to podcasts:
– HBR.org (transcript available here): https://hbr.org/podcast/2019/02/how-to-cope-with-a-mid-career-crisis
– Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/how-to-cope-with-a-mid-career-crisis/id152022135?i=1000429709054
– Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/episode/0ddroTHJXcZhQVsDdAv9zk?si=483be3f4d7b547d4
– Stitcher: https://www.stitcher.com/show/hbr-ideacast/episode/how-to-cope-with-a-mid-career-crisis-58736469
– Google Podcasts: https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cDovL2ZlZWRzLmhhcnZhcmRidXNpbmVzcy5vcmcvaGFydmFyZGJ1c2luZXNzL2lkZWFjYXN0/episode/dGFnOmF1ZGlvLmhici5vcmcsMjAwNi0wNS0wODppZGVhY2FzdC4wNjY5?sa=X&ved=0CAIQuIEEahcKEwiossnj-Y38AhUAAAAAHQAAAAAQLA
A weekly podcast featuring the leading thinkers in business and management.
About Harvard Business Review:
Harvard Business Review is the leading destination for smart management thinking. Through its flagship magazine, books, and digital content and tools published on HBR.org, Harvard Business Review aims to provide professionals around the world with rigorous insights and best practices to help lead themselves and their organizations more effectively and to make a positive impact. Learn more at www.hbr.org.
00:00 – Intro
2:11 – Midlife vs. Mid-Career Crisis
6:29 – The Grand Cartoon of Lives Unlived
12:09 – Shifting Your Mindset About Work
19:55 – To Change Careers, or Not
24:49 – Outro
Follow Harvard Business Review: https://hbr.org/ https://www.linkedin.com/company/harv… https://www.facebook.com/HBR/ https://twitter.com/HarvardBiz https://www.instagram.com/harvard_bus…
Sign up for Newsletters: https://hbr.org/email-newsletters
#HarvardBusinessReview #business #management
Copyright © 2022 Harvard Business School Publishing. All rights reserved.