Carrie Lam, Hong Kong’s leader, has said it will establish a ‘platform for dialogue’ to hear what Hong Kong protest demonstrators have to say. Learn about this story and English words in the news in this free English lesson.
After weeks of anti-government protests in Hong Kong, the territory’s leader, Carrie Lam, has said she wants to listen to what people have to say. Demonstrations against creeping Chinese mainland influence over Hong Kong have escalated since mid-June.
Key words and phrases
deliberately ignores, avoids or rejects something
• Their government shuns any organisation that deals in weapons.
• If you care about the environment, you will shun plastic where possible.
action taken as an attempt to end a disagreement
• I held out an olive branch to Rob by buying him a cookie.
• As an olive branch, he bought her a dozen red roses and had them delivered.
things given to reach an agreement
• The company made pay concessions to its staff.
• They made a diplomatic concession as an act of goodwill.
Which of these means ‘happening or developing slowly or gradually’?
For the answer, watch this on our website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/english/course/newsreview/unit-11/session-104
[Cover: Getty Images]
Learning English is easy! Improve your English with our free English videos and lessons on grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation and English exams.
Please use English when you comment.
For more free English lessons and videos visit our website: http://www.bbclearningenglish.com