Djokovic’s visa had been cancelled, but he believed he had permission to enter the country because he had recovered from the Covid last month and was therefore exempt from vaccination rules. The Australian government have said they could still cancel the visa.
Rob and Roy discuss this news story and teach you some related vocabulary so you can talk about it too.
News Review: Djokovic hits line judge with ball – https://youtu.be/FzFqgZ1FxFw
6 Minute English: The importance of handwashing – https://youtu.be/vHtvi6EtGkw
0:00 – Introduction
0:36 – Story
2:04 – Headline 1: Novak Djokovic released from immigration detention after Australian court quashes visa cancellation
4:38 – Headline 2: Novak Djokovic handed reprieve as he is allowed to leave detention facility
7:32 – Headline 3: Novak Djokovic wins case against Australia over cancelled visa, clearing path for him to play in Melbourne
9:46 – Language summary
rejects something officially
* If the judge quashes his sentence, Mike will be allowed to leave prison after three years.
* The protest against the government was quashed by police.
handed (a) reprieve
given cancellation of a punishment
* After new evidence was revealed, she was handed a reprieve and allowed to leave house arrest.
* The company was handed a reprieve from bankruptcy after a new investor came in.
clearing (a/the) path
allowing something to happen or proceed
* After years of being banned, the politician was told she could stand for election again, clearing the path for her to become president.
* The shareholders cleared the path for a takeover after accepting the businessman’s offer.
To download the audio and a transcript and test your understanding, go to our website:
#learnenglish #newsreview #NovakDjokovic #AustralianOpen2022