3.1 billion dollars.
That’s how much the cryptocurrency exchange company FTX owes to its 50 largest investors.
Sam Bankman-Fried, the founder and CEO, has been arrested and charged with fraud.
He’s accused of transferring FTX money to his own hedge fund.
Key words and phrases:
make something official by law
– The company have no more money so they are filing for bankruptcy.
– Ahmed and Mila have filed for divorce – they couldn’t make the relationship work.
rise and fall
success and then failure of a person, organisation or thing
– What are you reading? The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs
– The rise and fall of DVDs: why no-one buys them now
someone or something that helps others
– They were saved by a white knight who bought the company.
– The donation was a white knight for the charity.
0:00 – Introduction
0:23 – Story
1:10 – Headline 1: New York Times: Sam Bankman-Fried Arrested in the Bahamas After US Prosecutors File Charges
2:48 – Headline 2: Al-Jazeera: Timeline: The rise and spectacular fall of FTX
4:46 – Headline 3: Reuters: Sam Bankman-Fried’s sudden turn from white knight to detainee
6:45 – Language summary
For a quiz and downloads, check out our website: https://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/english/course/newsreview-2022/unit-1/session-49
#vocabulary #cryptocurrency #ftx #sambankmanfried #cryptoking #kingofcrypto #newsreview #learnenglish #englishvocabulary
SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel for more videos to help you improve your English: www.youtube.com/bbclearningenglish
Visit our website: https://www.bbclearningenglish.com
Find us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/bbclearningenglish
Find us on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/bbcle
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bbclearningenglish.multimedia
We like receiving and reading your comments – please use English when you comment.
Бет так похожа на актрису из игры престолов, мать драконов, просто шикарна!
I really like all programs done by Neil and Beth! Beth has a friendly face
Vocabulary from the Video BBC news review "Cryptocurrency king Sam Bankman-Fried Charged":
– Fraud (n) – an action of dishonesty or a person who pretends to be someone or something else that she or he isn't. Exp: He has been charged with fraud.
– Cryptocurrency (n) – a digital currency produced by a public network like bitcoin.
– To arrest (v) – to catch someone for doing something illegally. Exp: the police arrested him for driving.
– To accuse (v) – to charge someone with doing something wrong. Exp: He is accused of stealing the car. It means he's charged with stealing the car. A charge = an accusation.
– Hedge fund (n) – a type of investment that could bring a lot of profits but also has a large risk.
– Prosecutor (n) – a legal official who accuses someone of committing a crime, especially in a law court.
– A sudden turn (n) – a quick or sudden change of something.
– Detainee (n) – a person who has been held by the police
1) File (v) – to make something official by law. Exp: The police have filed charges. The company filed for bankruptcy. There was no money left.
2) Rise and fall (n) – success and then failure of someone or something. Exp: The rise and fall of DVDs. The rise and fall is an expression to describe someone who is really successful, or dominant and then becomes unsuccessful. My favorite book is The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs.
3) White knight (n) – a person who helps others. Literal meaning – a person with a horse and a sword rescues and helps people. Metaphorical meaning – a person who helps others or companies financially. A white knight gave our company $1m and saved us!
Thanks for this video. Have a nice weekend!!
Best messenger in 2022 is Utopia
It's helpful for learning this vocabulary
Hello! From my point of view Neil is the best teacher of whole stuff. Why? I am intermediate and I can understand almost all what Neil speaking when get more troubles to such plainly understand others. Thanks
I learn english and I need to a partner to speaking.I want to prepare a Level well If you search a pearson too maybe we can talk this one.More details I'll give on my email My level is from A2+ to B1
I love BBC News Review.😄
Hello, Neil and Beth! Your videoes are very helpful for learning vocabularies, and there are so many variations of topics. I'm woking at the medical industry, so I'm not familiar with leagal or finintial words. Today's topic is very interesting for me! Thank you so much!
Economist have been wondering what to do about black market money. Looks like every computer hacker, drug dealer and rat fink just became a currency specultor.
"When you have a dream, you've got to grab it and never let go."
Watch motivational video you can visit on channel
Cool if that's it then we all early and good to go with it…. So whats your insight about this particular project…. What's the great plan you think they actually have for the community??
Review of the coin: dso (dasoo)
"If you genuinely want something, don't wait for it_teach yourself to be impatient." _Gurbaksh Chahal
Now he'll be the king of gen pop!
This crypto currency king looks like a pothead kiddo.
It is best channel for learning English 😊
Could it be easier for politicians to Bury SBF rather than give those huge contribution/bribes back to the scammed FTX customers?
I really like your program. Greetings from Mexico.
Nice hairstyle ,Neil!
Nicely articulated. Let's hope everything will be dealt with. Meanwhile come accumulate some #paw today
"Trust because you are willing to accept the risk, not because it's safe or certain." _
Still Bullishly SB
Best topic 👌
Frankly, I wait for News Reviews every Wednesday. Thank you Neil and Beth. Thank you to all the people who work on BBC learning English. 💥💞♥️
💟 Really, I learn a lot from you. 💟
👔 Sila and Jack are going to file their marriage.
👔 The rise and fall of ancient telephones, no one uses them now.
👔 My mum is a white knight in my life. She always helps me. ♥️
Her name please?
The rise and fall of live make us better ;))
rise and fall
this is propered channel to train listening to English for me!
Greetings from Spain. You're the best
"The so-called king of crypto has been charged with fraud."
Present-perfect-passive tense. 😇
Good to see you again fellows. 🙂 Nice video, a practical way to improve vocabulary and grammar also. Greetings from Santiago, Chile. 👋👋