A climate change report by the Global Commission on Adaptation has recommended investing $1.7 trillion to adapt and make the world more climate change resilient. Learn the English language the world’s media is using to talk about this story.
A study of how the world can adapt to climate change says the richest countries must invest billions of dollars to safeguard livelihoods, coastal cities, food and water supplies.
The analysis has called for investment in early warning systems for storms and high tides and climate-resilient urban infrastructure.
Key words and phrases
change to fit the situation
• The theory of evolution states that species must adapt to their situation or die.
• It will take me a few months to adapt to the colder weather there, but I’ll be OK.
• The recent flu outbreak has left a large number of people gravely ill.
• On hearing the bad news, the diplomats muttered gravely among themselves.
succeed and bring benefit
• If you study hard now, it will pay off later. You’ll get a good job and have a good life.
• My investment was a bit of a gamble, but it really paid off. Now I’m a millionaire!
Combine two of these to create a verb which means ‘protect something from harm’:
For the answer, watch this on our website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/english/course/newsreview/unit-11/session-107
[Cover: Getty Images]
Learning English is easy! Improve your English with our free English videos and lessons on grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation and English exams.
Please use English when you comment.
For more free English lessons and videos visit our website: http://www.bbclearningenglish.com