About two million people who have not been fully vaccinated against Covid-19 have been placed in lockdown in Austria as the country faces a surge in cases. Unvaccinated people will only be allowed to leave home for limited reasons, like working or buying food. About 65% of Austria’s population is fully vaccinated – one of the lowest rates in Western Europe.
Rob and Neil discuss the news story and teach you some related vocabulary so you can talk about it too.
6 Minute English: Will Covid19 change cities? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO8d0wwXyk8
Lingohack: Zimbabwe: Is Victoria Falls drying up? https://youtu.be/7s0-Hsz1r3M
0:00 – Introduction
0:35 – Story
1:50 – Headline 1: Independent: Austria to impose lockdown on everyone who isn’t fully vaccinated as Covid cases surge
5:30 – Headline 2: Evening Standard: Austria plunges unvaccinated into lockdown
8:46 – Headline 3: RT: 1st-ever nationwide lockdown for the unvaccinated is on the cards
10:50 – Language summary
Key words and phrases:
• The crowd surged forward when the doors opened.
• The surge in cases was caused by a highly contagious variant of the virus.
moves quickly into something
• It was so hot we had to plunge into the pool to cool off.
• I quit my job at the bank and took the plunge and joined the circus.
on the cards
likely to happen
• Wage rises are on the cards in the UK. There are now signs that things are getting better for ordinary British workers.
• According to the weather forecast, a cold winter is on the cards.
To download the audio and a transcript and test your understanding, go to our website:
[Cover: Getty Images]
#bbclearningenglish #newsreview #austria #Covid-19 #news
For more English videos and English lessons to help you learn English: www.bbclearningenglish.com
We like receiving and reading your comments – please use English when you comment.