Aung San Suu Kyi, the deposed Myanmar leader, has been sentenced to four years in prison. This is the first in a series of verdicts that could jail her for life.
Rob and Roy discuss this news story and teach you some related vocabulary so you can talk about it too.
Myanmar: Military takes control – News Review – https://youtu.be/N_cTpbVfZ0Q
A future without doctors? – 6 Minute English – https://youtu.be/B1hl-eRpGmI
0:00 – Introduction
0:33 – Story
1:32 – Headline 1: Aung San Suu Kyi: Myanmar court sentences ousted leader to four years jail
4:38 – Headline 2: Ousted Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi sentenced to 4 years in prison
8:06 – Headline 3: Aung San Suu Kyi sentenced to four years in prison for incitement
10:03 – Language summary
Key words and phrases:
declares punishment for someone found guilty
* The man was sentenced to 9 years in prison for the murder.
* The official received a sentence of 3 years for their part in the corruption case.
expelled from a place or position
* The leader was ousted from power after the financial scandal.
* The police decided to oust the demonstrators from the main square after protests turned violent.
action of provoking unlawful activities
* The incitement of violence in the capital has been blamed on the rebel group.
* The court found the man guilty of inciting hate speech.
To download the audio and a transcript and test your understanding, go to our website:
#bbclearningenglish #newsreview #AungSanSuuKyi #Myanmar #Burma